November 29, 2011

DAY # 29 SERVICE AND FAITH

Day #29~ Thankful for service and faith. I was the recipient of someones service and taught an amazing lesson on faith. Thank you Mr. Deeds...(you know who you are.)



We have been doing a few updates on our townhome. It has been a fun and busy week, but the house is now back to normal. We even have our Christmas tree up and the house decorated. It feels good. It feels like home again.
There was one last small job that needed to be done. Some of our doors needed some adjusting done to them. I could have called my father to help, but didn't want to burden him. Instead Giovanni and I thought to call someone that we know who has been out of work for a while, and was doing small jobs to earn some income. We knew his work to be good and also knew that he would charge us a fair price. It would be a win win situation for both of us.
He worked diligently for several days to get the job done. He called last night saying he was done and asked if he could come bring the doors back and hang them. While he was here we talked and chatted about life and our different experiences. I showed him pictures of Robert on his mission in Italy.  Mr. Deeds (name changed) had been to La Spezia many years ago...so we chatted about his trip to Italy. It was nice to spend time with this man. We have known him for years and love him and his family dearly.
When the doors were hung it was time to settle our bill with him. We figured it would be more than $100 and we were happy and willing to pay. Also because we felt like we were helping out Mr. Deeds and his family. What happened next was something we weren't expecting.
Mr. Deeds said that instead of paying him that he wanted for us to pray for him. He said that most of his jobs were finishing up and he needed more work. He said that if he did service for other people that he knew the blessings would come and he would have work. He told us that he loved us and knew that we had a son on a mission and that we too deserved blessings and service. That it would be a way to help one another out.
We asked if we could pay him for part of his work, he declined. He said that he was being selfish, but that he really needed the Lord's blessings and had prayed about this and knew what he needed to do.
I can not express to you in words the spirit that filled the room last night. This humble man who wanted to serve and who had so much faith. He taught us a lesson last night of service and of faith.
As I knelt and said my prayers I prayed for Mr. Deeds, and for his family that they would be blessed. I also thanked the Lord for the great lesson of faith that I was taught. I went to bed with gratitude in my heart and a renewed sense of faith and a stronger desire to serve others.
Every time I look at these doors I will remember Mr. Deeds, and the lesson that he shared with our family, and I will always be thankful.

Sometimes the greatest love is not found in the dramatic scenes that poets and writers immortalize.
Often, the greatest manifestations of love are the simple acts of kindness and caring
we extend to those we meet along the path of life.
~Jospeh B. Wirthlin~

2 comments:

Kynsie said...

Such a great story! :) Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa said...

Hi Judi...thanks for stopping by and commenting on my last post. I loved your story of Mr Deeds and his service to your family, and what perfect timing. I think we can all learn so much about helping one another out in life.